Effective Date: February 1, 2019
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide directly to us. For example, we collect information when you create an account, make a purchase, create a gift registry and wish list, make a reservation at our restaurants, make an appointment with a personal shopper, fill out a form or survey, participate in a contest or promotion, apply for a job, communicate with us via third party social media sites, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address, and credit card or gift card information and any other information you choose to provide. If you create an account online, we may ask for additional information, such as your birthday, gender, and product preferences.
Information Automatically Collected
When you access or use our Services, we automatically collect information about you, including:
- Log and Usage Information: We collect information about your use of the Services, including the type of browser you use, app version, access times, pages viewed, your IP address, and the page you visited before navigating to our Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the computer or mobile device you use to access our Services, including the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Location InformationIn accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device. For more details, please see “Your Choices” below.
When you purchase, return or exchange a product, we collect information about the transaction, such as product details, purchase price, and the date and location of the transaction. We also record customer service calls and capture video records and photographic information of you when you visit one of our stores.
Informaton We Collect from Other Sources
We may also receive information about you from other sources and combine or link that with information we have about you. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including but not limited to change-of-address information or identify verification services if you apply for a job.
Use of Information
We use the information we collect to provide, maintain, and improve our Services and to offer you the finest products and shopping experience. We also use the information we collect to:
- Process your purchase transactions, fulfill your orders, and process exchanges and returns;
- Send support and administrative messages, and respond to your comments, questions, and customer service requests;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, and events offered by Barneys New York and others, and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you (if you prefer not to receive promotional communications from us, you may opt out at any time by following the instructions in the “Your Choices” section below);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services and stores;
- Detect, investigate and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Barneys New York and others;
- Personalize your online experience and the advertisements and content you see when you use the Services based on your preferences, interests, and browsing and purchasing behavior;
- Facilitate contests, sweepstakes, and promotions and process and deliver entries and rewards; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information is collected.
Sharing of Information
- With vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf (for example, companies that help process, fulfill and ship orders, provide web hosting services, and distribute direct mail and marketing emails for us);
- With other companies for their own services and marketing purposes, unless you opt out of this type of sharing by writing to Barneys New York, Attn: Legal, 575 Fifth Avenue, New York NY 10017 or e-mailing email@example.com;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of Barneys New York or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by another company;
- Between and among Barneys New York and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership; or
- With your consent or at your direction.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our social media pages. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Others
Your device may also include a feature (“Limit Ad Tracking” on iOS or “Opt Out of Interest-Based Ads” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” on Android) that allows you to opt out of having certain information collected through apps used for behavioral advertising purposes.
Online Account Information
Registering for an account on our Services will make your online shopping experience faster and easier. We can store your shipping addresses and billing information so that you don’t have to enter them each time you shop. You will also be able to save your shopping basket, check your order status, and review your order history. In addition, you can seamlessly shop your favorite designers and products by saving them to your account. You can add, delete, or change your online account information at any time by logging into your account. If you wish to deactivate your account, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Barneys New York offers mobile applications that allow you to shop online, discover in-store happenings, browse editorial content, or receive other communications. When you first launch any of our mobile applications that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. Although you do not have to provide your location to use our mobile applications, allowing Barneys New York to collect precise location data enables us to deliver relevant content within our stores and to enhance your overall shopping experience. If you allow us to collect location information, we may collect your location at your request (such as when you tap “Enable” on a location services prompt). We may also collect location information when your device is near our in-store content personalization systems, even if you are not actively using the app. We use your location data to enhance your shopping experience, as well as to assist with foot traffic measurement and service improvements in our stores. If you initially consent to our collection of location information, you can subsequently turn off this location tracking at any time in your device settings, or by disabling Bluetooth.
You may opt out of receiving promotional emails from Barneys New York by following the instructions in those emails. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional emails, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Your California Policy Rights
California law permits residents of California to request certain details about how their information is shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes. Under the law, a business must either provide this information or permit California residents to opt in to, or opt out of, this type of sharing. Barneys New York qualifies for this alternative option. To opt out of having information about you shared with third parties for direct marketing purposes, you may do so by writing to Barneys New York, Attn: Legal, 575 Fifth Avenue, New York NY 10017 or e-mailing email@example.com.
Consumers in the European Economic Area
If you are in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), you have certain rights and protections under the law regarding the processing of your personal data.
Legal Basis for Processing
When we process your personal data, we will only do so in the following situations:
- We need to use your personal data to perform our responsibilities under our contract with you (e.g., processing payments for and providing the products or services you have requested).
- We have a legitimate interest in processing your personal data. For example, we may process your personal data to send you marketing communications, to communicate with you about changes to our Services, and to provide, secure, and improve our Services.
- We have your consent to do so. When processing is based on consent, you have the right to revoke such consent at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We store the information we collect on you for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it, or for other legitimate business purposes, including to meet our legal, regulatory, or other compliance obligations.
Transfer of Information to the U.S.
Barneys New York is based in the United States and we (and our service providers) process and store information in the U.S. If you reside outside the U.S., you understand and agree that we transfer your information to the U.S, which may not provide equivalent levels of data protection as your home jurisdiction.
Data Subject Requests
You have the right to access personal data we hold about you and to ask that your personal data be corrected, erased, or transferred. You may also have the right to object to, or request that we restrict, certain processing. If you would like to exercise any of these rights, you can log into your account or may contact us at email@example.com.
Questions or Complaints
If you have a concern about our processing of personal data that we are not able to resolve, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data privacy authority where you reside. For contact details of your local Data Protection Authority, please see: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.